Hi am trying to bring back a Digital Personal Workstation 433au to its glory
This thing is a tank and is based on a Alpha 21164 at 433MHz
This model runs Windows NT4.0 whilst the 533au runs both Windows NT4 and Digital UNIX / Tru64 UNIX
So far had to replace current Hard Disk due to it’s age, everything else so far seems ok.
I put a new hard drive in, which was a challenge based on it’s Digital Design aesthetics, and am now trying to install Windows NT 4.0 Workstation.
Now the fun begins as it is not a normal Install.
- Use CMOS Setup to set the system date and time: start AlphaBIOS Setup, select CMOS Setup, and press [Enter].
- Perform an express hard-disk setup: return to the main AlphaBIOS Setup screen, select Hard Disk Setup, and press [Enter].
- Put the Windows NT CD into the CD-ROM drive.
- Start AlphaBIOS Setup, select Install Windows NT, and press [Enter].
Windows does not recognize the machine
- When asked to select your system name, choose Other, and press Enter. When prompted for a hardware support diskette, put the Digital Personal WorkStation Alpha HAL kit floppy in your a: drive, and press Enter. Select “Digital Personal WorkStation 433a, 500a” and press Enter.
I have found this disk image on Archive.org and am creating a new floppy to use.
That’s the next step…