Archive.org Scanning and Uploading

For the RetroChallenge 2021 I am planning to scan and upload documents to archive.org and then create a collections for all scanned documents that the ACMS has (and there are plenty) that are not currently on archive.org

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

As i start to learn i will post here updates.

many thanks

4 Likes

Hi
Any contributions are worthwhile as is your learning process in generating a PDF ready to share with the world. Be mindful that in 2 years time (however long) you might look back and think ā€œgee I really compressed that image too muchā€ etc. The lesson there is balance your quality - 600dpi TIFF is irrelevant if you have a cheap scanner, and 60kb JPEGs of a magazine are also irrelvant as the text will be fuzzy.

Play around with your scanner settings and if you are unsure, keep the ā€˜as close to the originalā€™ files and your end-game processed files. When you say you need help what with please.

4 Likes

Hi
i have started to ā€œtestā€ the water so to speak. I started with some low quality SIG newsletters.

I have uploaded with the user called " ACMS (Australian Computer Museum Society)"

If anyone has a recommendation for an A3 scanner and software pls let me know

Also if you can check the tags i used for the documents pls let me know if i can improve

Once i have uploaded and confirmed it is ok i have asked Archive.org to create the collection for ACMS

If you wish to have your scans moved to this collection pls let me know
thanks

4 Likes

Iā€™m struggling to find a user called ACMS or ā€œACMS (Australian Computer Museum Society)ā€ on Archive, can you provide a direct link ?

Thereā€™s a bakersā€™ half-dozen uploads on an account of that name here:
ACMS (Australian Computer Museum Society) archive.org Member

(I think @Mr2021 may have tried to post this link but somehow it is mis-rendered.)

Thanks for that, the link you gave works, but a search for " ACMS (Australian Computer Museum Society)" does not link to it, but a search for @jcl2021 that your link actually link to does work. Hasnā€™t been setup properly in the first place.